Sunday, May 2, 2010

HOW TIMES CHANGE - Sweet 16 - 2010!

Sarah's sweet 16 birthday gave me pause to reflect. What a change. When I hit 16 drag didn't even refer to car racing - just to lugging that back pack around - to say nothing about alternative life styles. I always wondered at the stories my grandmother told of her childhood and now its my turn to tell tales. My upbringing was pretty sheltered until I got to Paris at 19. Southern Virginia was not a welcoming place for unusual behavior - Blacks were segregated and, if there was a gay community, it must have been off in the hills. I had lived in Brooklyn as a 12 year old and my grandmother took me to a strip show on Broadqway by the famous vaudeville performer, Sophie Tucker, but I admit I was not enthralled - don't remember even realizing what it was all about. So much for sexy childhood experiences in 1940 and for changing times. Julie's 'on the phone' description of Sarah's party was great and I'm glad the moral climate has changed so the experience of diversity in the world can be shared, enjoyed, and understood, but what a gap between celebrating 16 years in a Muslim country and NYC. It sure brings home to me the amazing diversity and variety of styles of living we have on this little earth and illustrates the generation gap that opens ever more rapidly in this country. I'm glad of the chance to reflect on this and be reminded of the continual need to stay in touch with the next generation as one quickly follows another as we grandparents hang around. Thank you all for providing these moments and a special happy birthday Sarah. And thanks to all you rising 16 year olds for sharing your experiences of 21st century childhood to adulthood with us. Love, BAbbo

No comments:

Post a Comment