Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Senior Week in Review -

Mom and I have had a good week. Kate's birthday last Sunday was fun for us. We spent time in the afternoon with the kids - Reid and I came to our house and baked a cake from scratch - my first. We did well, but forgot the baking soda until the end when we stirred it into the cake batter in the pans. Result, a partially risen cake. We did a lemon filling that was delicious, as Reid said, "like lemon chiffon pie" -his favorite, and a white icing. It seemed to be a hit. Mom stayed with the younger kids. We had a nice dinner over there cooked by Rico.

Monday I had lunch with a UNA member who asked me to serve as President of the organization for two years. A nice honor after only 3 years here but I said no - my first, I think. Ten years ago I'd have done it but 'I've been there, done that' and I have some personal projects I'd like to do.

Wednesday Mom and I went to the dermatologist expecting to have some major surgery on her leg. After checking it carefully, the doctor recommended another biopsy, scraped a little around the edges, and said let's wait. A relief in one way but the possibility of surgery still is there and legs heal so slowly. The issue is that after a cancer is removed, the new skin around the edges sometimes comes in appearing to be cancer - the cells don't know what they yet. I gather the scraping around the edges can remove those and new skin will grow. Let's hope.

We went out to dinner Tuesday night to a place that serves Happy Hour tapas all night - a nice little meal with happy hour wine prices. Relaxing. On Thursday I had a planning luncheon for the UNA discussion group - one topic we'll be exploring is the impact of the wickipedia leaks on the future practice of diplomacy.

We had some great weather during the week and Mom has had some walks and I did my three swims a week routine. Saturday we did a lot of Christmas actitities such as wreath and presents plus mailing one package. Today we took Boden to the Gem and Train Show. Really neat. He was able to polish a stone on the wheel, pan for gold, and watch trains. The setups are large and very impressive. The most amazing was the logo exhibit. Five different trains, scenery from Victoian houses about a foot and a half high to a quidditch court, assorted dragons, and all kinds of people and activites. We all loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment