Wednesday, October 27, 2010

October in Colorado



I wish I could remember what I pushed to drag pictures to different locations when I did my last entry! Can't get them to move today.



We got our camera set for travel yesterday so we now have a few good photos of our October activities in Colorado. It has been a busy but interesting month that has gone very quickly. There have been a lot of annual doctor visits as we get checked for another year. So far good results. I saw my back surgeon yesterday after a two hour wait - a bigger pain than the back! - and got some relaxing pills that will help a lot I think. The spine is so much better than before the operation but the muscles have a tendency to tighten if I do a lot of standing or walking. My chief doctor says I'm in good shape. I'm getting stitches in the hand removed tomorrow. It seems to be healing well and the little finger is straighter than it has been for 20 years. I can also type with more than one finger now that the bandage is down to a small wrap around the hand. My heart doctor says I'm in good shape and my leaky valvbes have improved over the last year - swimming does do wonders.

There have been several shows, musical events - one tonight as we are going to the'encore' of Das Rheingold from the Met at the local movie house - lectures, and discussions to monitor including one tomorrow. Last Sunday I was involved in a celebration of UN Day at the library. We had a fine performance by a woman actress portraying Eleanor Roosevelt at the UN where she chaired the committee that wrote the Universal Declaration on Human Rights. It was followed by a reception with birthday cake - the UN's 65th - and lots of displays by UN connected organizations. Everyone seemed pleased with the result - we had almost 200 people attend.

The dramatic sky photo is a view of Estes Park in mid-October. We went up hoping to hear the elk - they were still around but not around us. However, we heard a very good lecture on the elk in the park and are all set to try again during the fall mating season. We went up with friends and had dinner on the way back at an inexpensive but tasty Italian restaurant. It was a lovely trip on an overcast day with new snow on the highest peaks. Friends drove so we got to enjoy all the views.

The pumkin patch was visited on a Saturday with some clouds and sun. The maze built of hay bales provided many smiles, screams, and quick turns as the three Kelloggs raced about. After lots of excersie it was time to choose the pumpkins, the results of which appear in the second photo. There were a few animals in pens and the watching of goats and sheep brought back many mind-pictures of Thanksgiving in West Simsbury. After one such visit we flew to Australia, were asked if we had been on a farm recently, and after replying, "Yes.", were ddirected to a special entry where our shoes got extensive checking. We were wondering if it will happen again when we arrive next Wednesday.

The fianal photo shows a bit of our Halloween decorating - we also have something on the door but no real pumpin. Our black cat has been around for many years. I brought it from Mother's and I'm sure it was at home when I was a kid. We also have a witch made in the same style and material flying on the door. The orchid is quite amazing. I had always been told how difficult they are to raise, but we have had great luck with several of them in the corner window. This is the third year of blooming for this one. We had it repotted last year. I give it fertilizer for extended periods and keep it moist. I thought it would be too cold in the window but it thrives. It gets six to seven hours of sun and provides us an attractive corner. The only negative is we have the same plant(s) all the time - however, for someone without a particularly green thumb or knowledge of plants, I think it is a good situation to be in.

The bed in the study is slowly disappearing as we organize for packing this weekend. The weather today is brilliant - still a little wind but strong sun and wonderful clarity so that each rock, pine, and blade of grass on Mt. Sanitas is sparkling. We hope local snow will wait until our return in December after the month in summery Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment