Monday, October 4, 2010

WEEKEND AT HOME

photos. Brainard lake and the Indian Peaks, picnic site, and the stream.





I'll have my 82 year perspective on the hair business later but the focus of this message is the weekend. Saturday there was a lecture on immigration that was very interesting. The speaker is a 40 year old resident, free lance writer, and teacher at Naropa University. He has been investigating the topic for four years and had many anecdotes to illustrate his main point - the immigration issue has been seized by the military/industrial/congressional complex and used a a scare tactic against the general public. For instance, Boeing got the contract to build the 'fence' with no experience. They bought radar in Israel - the fence experts - but found it ran on Hebrew not English so bagged them all - result cost has doubled and time for completion is 2018 not 2012 - feel safe? Then he reported on the immigration stock portfolio - those companies involved in fence building, radar, prison managememnt, etc. It has run way ahead of the market. Local prisons can collect between $82 and $120 a head for detained immigrants and work hard to keep them - no outside phone calls, no cell phones, no web, so no way to contact friends to pay for the passage home. etc. etc.

After that typical Boulder event, we headed to the mountains for a short walk and picnic. It was a great time and very upbeat. It combined many of the reasons we made the move. Family, location, and the outdoors full of sun. (We just had a 30 minute sprinkle - the first sign of water falling since we got back!) I still haven't figured out all this photo business but I did put the summer photos on the computer last night and I hope to add couple of shots of the outing to complement Rico's. I did but they ended up at the beginning - how do you place them in the text?

Sunday we vegged - I used our apples to make a pot of applesauce and some apple butter - yum! and finally unpacked the last items. Why do we cart so much stuff back and forth? It is good to be home. The pace of life is picking up which is fine with me after my 2 1/2 hour COMPLETE physical this morning. I got an excellent report except for a slightly elevated choresterol level - too much good living. I guess we'll cut back a bit on some items but I don't see the level as a real worry.





No comments:

Post a Comment