Friday, October 22, 2010

A One handed week

The big bandage came off yesterday which allows me to type a little easier. The operation last week was rather chaotic. My pre-op appointment was at 10:30 rather than the week before when my doctor was away. I drove down for the 30 minute visit with the operation scheduled for 2, Kate was going to pick me up at 11:45 for the noon check-in. At the office I was told the operation was at 1 but I could arrive at 12 - fine. Then the wait began. I finally saw the doctor at 11:40 and we rushed through. He assured me it was OK - the operation wouldn't start until we both arrived - big help to Kate who by then was at the house getting into a frantic state with no answers to the phone and the door locked. At five of 12 I pulled in - what a look of relief appeared on her face. She got me to the surgery center by 12:10 and, after signing more papers, I waited. About 12:25 a nurse appeared and the nurse said, "Oh! we need to move quickly." We did until they couldn't find a vein for the needle - that slowed us down but one was found. My arm, however, got its usual red bruises. The anatheseologist came and we had a pleasant and relaxed chat which was a relief. I got directions - a relaxing drug through the inter-venous line, a tourniquet on the arm to stop blood flow, and a shot to deaden the arm - interesting combination. Dr. Fry arrived, said, "Hi." and we were wheeled away.

I was vaguely aware during part of the operation hearing murmurs but seeing and feeling nothing. Then I was out and the next thing I knew it was 3 o'clock, I was awake, offered crackers and juice, and asked when my ride was coming. We'd arranged for a 4:30 pickup as Kate had a school appointment. I thought it had been put on my records but apparently not and they had called Kate saying I was ready for pickup at 3:15. Fortunately she said she'd be there at 4:30. They put me in a lounge chair where I snoozed until she arrived, signed me out, and took me home. She stayed around and I relaxed then Kate got dinner for herself, Boden, and me - a pleasant interlude in a hectic day. Rico came for the night and got me breakfast in the morning and Ann got home from Baltimore about 6:30 I was doing fine except one handed living takes adjustment.

I could move three fingers and the thumb a tiny bit. The fingers stayed numb for 36 hours - a bit of a worry. Once in a while I did a twisting move with my hands that gave a shock of pain but overall it went well except for the little things one cannot do with one hand. These included tying shoes, pulling the belt tight, fastening buttons, driving and washing the armpit on the side with a usable hand, and drying after a shower (showers were allowed without wetting the hand so a big plastic bag kept me dry - tied on by Ann!) Thank heavens for a partner. Ann was great and is still doing the driving and helping in the shower as I still shouldn't get the hand very wet.

Now I have a small bandage with a splint at night to keep the fingers straight. I am supposed to exercise hourly making fists and putting the hand flat on the table - it all hurts more than anytime last week but I'm assured I'm healing well and the goal is to keep a wound open so new skin will fill in and give me more hand flexibility in a few weeks. It will be good to be in Australia where I won't be tempted to drive.

Philosophically, I find it hard to adjust to being fine and active one moment then handicapped the next due to a conscious decision. Was the operation really needed? Did I have to put myself and others into this situation? Certainly last year's back surgery says it is worth it and I trust I'll feel the same about the hand in six weeks. In the meantime, I deeply appreciate the support from Kate, Rico and Ann. Without them it couldn't have happened in that tiny window of opportunity I had for the operation - one day Oct 14th - operation day for the second year in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment