Friday, November 19, 2010

Beds and Lenticular Days

I feel like I've been a little lazy with the posting because I haven't had anything really interesting to add, but I'm compelled, nonetheless. I'm on break for 10 ten days- that's something exciting!

The weather geeks tell us that because of the "El Nina" ocean current pattern in the Pacific this year, it will be a windier winter than usual. With the winds, which are always a big minus, comes the added benefit of more spectacular sunrises and sunsets. This is what I was greeted with when I went out to get the paper this morning. We get these spectacular displays because of the lenticular clouds that form when there are high altitude winds over the front range.

The father of Kate's best friend from childhood, Pammy Johnson, passed away recently, so we were honoring Tom Johnson in our own strange way here. Kate and Pammy had a favorite game that they played with Tom; it's called "Beds". Essentially, it's tag where beds in the house are home base and the parent is always "It". We played a several family games of beds over the last week and it was a hit! It's well-suited to Reid's default level of energy. Another thing that Tom Johnson did frequently (according to Kate) is make breakfast for dinner because that was the limit of his culinary skills. We had a delicious scrambled egg and bacon dinner in his honor.

It's so exciting to hear about Rachael's big graduation activities and it brings me back to my own high school days. Her health challenges remind me of walking with a cane in my graduation procession because of the laceration on my foot. I'm glad she's doing better and I hope she can fully enjoy the well-earned celebrations with her buddies. Dad- I loved the description of morning in Brisbane. It felt like the beginning of a novel, but perhaps I've been having too many writing conferences with 5th graders (not that your writing is that level!) As winter starts to squeeze its fist tighter around us, it's nice to think of warmer climates and the people I love who are enjoying them. We're off to Durango again and we're all looking forward to family, food and enjoying the great outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment