Friday, February 18, 2011

A busy birthday


Thanks for the cards, phone calls, facebook, and blog messages. I had a good day yesterday but busier than I would have planned if I had had my way - serves me right for saying "yes" to organizations.


I spent the morning getting ready to moderate a discussion at the library on educating the world leaders of the future. I had lunch with the resource person - Eric Glustrom, a Boulderite I've mentioned who I admire greatly. He founded Educate! as a 17 year old and now at 26 is educating 1000
Ice on the lake at Eldora Feb 14, 2011
Ugandan youth in entreprenurial, leadership, other skills. His organization has been asked to write the new entreprenurial curriculum that will be offered in every Ugandan high school and they expect 45,000 kids to be involved by 2012. The two hour discussion was interesting with 19 people involved. Then Mom and I picked up a movie screen for the evening event, came home, and relaxed a few minutes.

We had a quick sandwich supper. Just before we sat down, Rico called, I opened cards and got good laughs while eating, came home to phone messages from Elli and Julie. I'd started the day with a facebook announcement that Matt had left a message on my wall and there was a blog message - oh technology.

Last evening I moderated the first of a planned series of films and panel discussions the UNA is offering. It was meant to be in late January but it took more planning than expected. Discussion topics will relate to the Millennium goals and last night it was microfinance. We had a short film then a good panel - two who work with locally headquarterd, microfinance NGOs (Uganda and Guatemala) and a man who is working on poverty issues in Boulder County. The crowd (25) was smaller than we had hoped but they were a very good audience and everyone enjoyed it.

On the way home (30 minute drive as we were in Lafaayette) we had a beautiful full moon, a few clouds, and light on the mountains. We stopped for sweet crepes - my cake substitute - at a place we like. The Kelloggs will be over for a birthday dinner Sunday - it was too much to try to see them yesterday. So the birthday was very busy, different, but enjoyable and I felt pleased with the way both discussions went.

On another topic, our plans for NH in March are falling into place. We fly east March 9th and spend the night and Thursday night with Paul Miller. We'll bus to Concord, rent a car, and be around until the 18th when we fly back. We'll be with Anne Sayce the nights of the 15,16, 17. Where we'll be other nights, we're not sure. I speak the 14, 15 and 16 so we'll be somewhere in the Concord area from Sunday on. We're hoping to see the Davis's and other friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment