Thursday, May 26, 2011

Many Thanks


I'm the last to weigh in win a huge THANK YOU to our extended family for making Mom's birthday surprise happen. Thanks to Julie, Elli, and Rico for being here and thanks to all the other family members for supporting the plans. They could not have worked out better from my perspective.

The photos reflect a very handsome family and many different events - I got a particular laugh out of the photo of Mom and me taking center stage in Boden's classroom. A photo book of the time will be forthcoming. And thanks Rico for the videos - next time we see Emily maybe she can give us some hints.

Mom has done some painting this week but days slip away faster than she wants so there are some final bits to do on them. She has a stream really flowing but needs to finish a bit of the bank! We had an interesting discussion today on Libya and Elli and Kate can relate to the format having each attended one. We have the big Memorial Day events this weekend - Bolder Boulder and duck race in the creek!

I have another book to suggest. Citizens of London by Lynne Olson. It is the story of World War II in London and focuses on three Americans - Ed Murrow of CBS news, Averill Harriman, diplomat and US head of lend-lease, and Gil Winant, US ambassador, SPS grad and faculty member and namesake of the Winant volunteers of which Mom was one. I was 11 when the war began and remember much of what is in the book but she goes into detail and behind the scenes plotting and escapades. Because of my having lived through it, it may have more appeal than it would to others, but the book has had good reviews and several people we know have commented on it. If anyone is interested in World War II or recent history in general, I think you'd enjoy the book (summer reading?) and you'd get a realistic picture of what it was like to be in England. My first trip was in 1948 and I have a photo of me standing in bomb wreckage near St. Paul's. Matt and I stood in almost the same spot in 2000 for a photo - what changes there have been.

Thanks again and thanks for all your love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment